Foundation Skills for Social Change (FSSC) Certificate Programme
What is the FSSC Programme?
There is a high turnover of grassroots leadership in trade unions and community based organisations in a context where resources for education has diminished. The FSSC programme consists of courses which build the capacity of grassroots leaders in trade unions and community organisations. The courses are designed to be user-friendly, relevant and practical by IFWEA affiliates who have expertise in these fields. They provide course participants with theoretical and analytical skills to enhance their educational, organising and mobilising roles as grassroots leaders.
Taking education online
Courses are run with a combination of online and face to face in workshop sessions using IFWEA’s Online Labour Academy (OLA). This is a platform where educators and participants can access materials, do assignments and exchange. To explore OLA and register as a partcipant, go to our Home page and follow the instructions! Please note – to register on OLA you must have a working email account. During 2017 courses were run in India, Nepal, Pakistan and Zimbabwe. All these courses below are available in programme and will be run globally from 2018:
- Participatory Learning Methods: An introduction to Workers’ Education
- Women’s leadership
- Gender Equity
- Fashioning a Feminist Workplace Agenda
- Facilitating Study Circles
- Social Protection for Workers in the Informal Economy
- Worker Activism Using Theatre
Who can do the FSSC programme courses?
The courses are targeted at grassroots leaders to reflect on and enhance knowledge and skills at foundation level, primarily through interaction and sharing.
How does the programme work?
- The duration of each FSSC course is 24 hours, 6 hours are allocated to a practical exercises. The course can be taken online with other enrolled participants or run in a face to face session with participants in the same location.
- The flexibility of the course is that it can be run over a time span convenient to the participants. It can be run in any language as the course is online and much of the text can be translated by simply using google translate.
- The materials and resources can also be swopped for ones in a language that participants understand –especially when they are doing this as part of a group in an organisation.
FSSC Programme Course Certificates:
- Certificates are issued online by the IFWEA Secretariat on completion of the course, indicating that the participant has accomplished the learning objectives of the selected course and that, in the process, has contributed to the global knowledge community through their course activities.
- The certificate is therefore an acknowledgement that the participant has completed the activities required in the course and in the process has contributed to the building of a global knowledge community of worker educators through sharing their experiences and understanding on the course topic.
Contact IFWEA at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- If you would like it is run these courses in your organisation – online or offline.
- If you have an innovative course to offer that targets grassroots leaders, IFWEA offers financial support to design and pilot the course on the OLA.