FOUNDATION SKILLS FOR SOCIAL CHANGE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMME
The IFWEA Foundation Skills for Social Change (FSSC) certificate programme consists of courses which build the capacity of grassroots leaders in trade unions and community organisations. The courses, designed by IFWEA affiliates who have expertise in specific fields, are user-friendly, relevant and practical. They provide course participants with skills to enhance their educational, organising and mobilising roles as grassroots leaders.
2020 / 2021 update
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the travel restrictions imposed in numerous countries, the FSSC programme has been run entirely online for most of 2020.
- The Women’s Leadership Course, facilitated by Namrata Bali from the Indian Academy of Self Employed Women (IASEW), attracted 24 participants from organisations in 10 countries. Click here to hear from Yoshida Quinteros how she found the experience. And watch our video presentation on the course
- How to Design an Online Course has been run four times. Twice was by open invitation, and twice was in-house with the Nigeria Labour Congress and StreetNet. In all , there were 145 participants from 26 countries. In addition, three affiliates designed and rolled out online courses with IFWEA’s support, and a further eight affiliates are preparing for the roll out of online courses in 2021. See how the courses ran, who took them, and how they went here
Three new online courses have been designed in the FSSC programme, in response to the demand for introducing online education to grassroots leaders during lockdown and restrictions on movement in various countries. These courses are:
- How to obtain and manage an email account
- How to use WhatsApp for education
- How to run an online study circle
These are critical and practical courses to enable grassroots leaders to participate in online education and for them to introduce digital communication into their organising strategies, campaigns and information provision to members of their organisations.
To find out more about courses and study groups that have been going in 2020, click here
ALL ABOUT THE FOUNDATION SKILLS FOR SOCIAL CHANGE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMME
How do IFWEA courses work?
FSSC courses consist of a combination of online interactions in workshop sessions using IFWEA’s Online Labour Academy (OLA). This is a platform where educators and participants can access materials, do assignments and exchange feedback. The courses assist our affiliates to share or jointly design and run courses for grassroots leaders, helping them to take on new challenges facing the labour movement. The courses have been piloted by different affiliates to test curricula, methodologies and materials.
Some FSSC courses are also run offline, such as photographic and cultural workshops.
Who are the FSSC programmes for?
The courses are targeted at grassroots leaders to reflect on and enhance knowledge and skills at the foundation level, primarily through interaction and sharing.
Certificates are issued online by the IFWEA Secretariat on completion of a course, indicating that the participant has accomplished the learning objectives of the selected course. The certificate also acknowledges that the participant has, in the process, contributed to the building of a global knowledge community of worker educators through sharing their experiences and understanding of the course topic.
How do I sign up?
To explore OLA and register as a participant, go to our Home page and follow the instructions. Please note – to register on OLA you must have a working email account.
Contributing to the FSSC certificate programme
If you have an innovative course to offer that targets grassroots leaders, IFWEA offers financial support to design and pilot the course on OLA.
Renaldi Prinsloo (IFWEA Education Online Curriculum Developer) at firstname.lastname@example.org